Celebrate your St. Kate’s experience with classmates, teammates...
Registration is now open for the second annual Alumnae Evening with the...
Alumnae Relations is seeking art for the Alumnae Art Exhibit at Reunion...
Conversation with Books
Conversation with Books is a literary event that has been a tradition at St. Catherine University since 1965. Event participants enjoy a lively panel of book lovers who highlight recent books of literary merit.
Whether collecting ideas for winter reading, potential book club picks or simply jump-starting the conversation about great recent literature, Conversation with Books offers attendees an afternoon of rich literary discussion. It’s not necessary to have read the books in advance of the event. Some avid readers attend simply to decide what to pick up next.
Saturday, February 21, 2015, 1 p.m.
Rauenhorst Ballroom, 3rd floor, Coeur de Catherine
Panelists for Conversation with Books:
- Ruth Haag Brombach '60, alumnae liaison
- Judith Martens Flahavan ’60, retired businesswoman and educator
- Cecilia Konchar Farr, professor of English and women's studies.
The book list for 2015
- Adichie, Chimamanda Ngozi. Americanah. Alfred A. Knopf, 2013.
- Gardam, Jane. The Stories. Eurpoa Editions, 2014.
- Gordimer, Nadine. July’s People. Penguin Books, 1981.
- McEwan, Ian. The Children Act. Doubleday, 2014.
- Ng, Celeste. Everything I Never Told You. Penguin Press, 2014.
- Saulitis, Eva. Into Great Silence: A Memoir of Discovery and Loss Among Vanishing Orcas. Beacon Press, Boston, 2013.
- Sturdevant, Lori. Her Honor: Rosalie Wahl and the Minnesota Women's Movement. Minnesota Historical Society Press, 2014.
- Sweet, Victoria. God's Hotel: A Doctor, a Hospital and a Pilgrimage to the Heart of Medicine. Riverhead Books, 2012.
- Toth, Susan Allen. No Saints Around Here: A Caregiver’s Days. University of Minnesota Press, 2014.
Books from this list will be available to purchase at the event.
In memory of Catherine Lupori
Catherine Pribyl Lupori, professor emerita, founded Conversation with Books in 1965, and led the event for 50 years. Sadly, Catherine died on October 13, 2014, at the age of 95. Conversation with Books will go on, and was dedicated to Catherine in 2015.
Pioneer Press: Catherine Pribyl Lupori embodied 'love of learning' at St. Kate's
Star Tribune: Catherine Lupori, St. Kate's professor, fought for women's rights
St. Kate's Newswire: University mourns professor emerita
Conversation with Books travels!
Join us to discuss the book list in chapter events around the country. For more information on these alumnae chapter events, please see our chapter events page.
- February 27: Naples, Fla.
- February 28: Sarasota, Fla.
- March 21: Phoenix, Ariz.
- March 22: Tucson, Ariz.
50th Anniversary Commemorative Book List
In celebration of the 50-year history of Conversation With Books, a complete book list of all books discussed at past events was a gift to those who attended Conversation with Books in February 2014. Commemorative book lists are available at a cost of $5 to those who were not able to attend.